Monday, April 7, 2008

On Unity

I went to a retreat this past weekend with my seminary. I don't know what it was, but I didn't feel comfortable. Maybe it was because I showed up at 3pm, towards the end of the retreat, or something else. But amongst these Christians, I felt alone.

Today, in class, we were talking about the split between Judaism and Christianity and then the further split amongst all the Christians. We have Catholics and Protestants. Even within Protestantism, we have different denominations, Baptist, Presbyterian, Evangelical.

I thought back to when I had met someone on the street. When he asked me what kind of Christian I was, I didn't know how to answer him. Aren't we all the same? Don't we all believe that Christ is our salvation? Don't we all love God?

This is the unity that so many churches and fellowships long for. Not so much that we agree on everything, but these core concepts of loving God. Rather than preaching for this kind of unity, so many people preach togetherness.

As great as togetherness is, diversity is so much better. In diversity, we have creativity, we have uniqueness, we have collaboration, we have the sum of different life knowledge and life experiences. If we were all "one" as many people desire, then we'd be so boring. Everyone would think the same and would result in stagnation.

I say, celebrate our diversity. Welcome people into the family of Christ in love. Love God and love His people. Be one in the spirit. That's unity.

No comments: