Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Requests and Updates for 11/4/08

Requests
==
+ To pursue God, not career
+ Discernment in deciding what to do in these next two years with classes, work, and internship
+ Discipline to get all my work done.


Updates
==
I met with my adviser today to talk about what classes to take next semester. For the most part, he recommended everything that I was planning to take anyway. But as I looked over the requirements sheet, it dawned on me. I might not graduate on time.

The first two semesters, I took 13.5 credits each. This semester, I took 12 credits. In order to graduate, I need 93 credits over 6 semesters or about 15.5 credits a semester. If I continue at the current rate of 12 credits, then I'll have 1 semester worth of classes left over. If I pile it on, I'll only be behind by 1 class.

This semester has been particularly hard because in addition to class and homework, I'm also working at Metro. It's definitely been a strain adjusting, but I really enjoy it. It would be a shame if I stopped.

So, I have a few options.

1) Take the extra semester and graduate late
2) Try to load up classes this summer.
3) Load up next 3 semesters and stop working at Metro.

Another wrinkle in this puzzle is my plan for next summer. I had discovered 2100 Productions, a Christian production company run by InterVarsity. They have a summer internship program that I was thinking about applying for. Obviously, if I do option 2 above, it'll put a nix on those plans.

While I was sitting in class today, I decided that I was going to take the risk and apply for the internship. It would be a great place to learn from other people and get a feel for real world work. The whole point of internships. As much as I would like to stay at Metro and do video and all that stuff, I would be leading that innitiative. Which means the only learning I would get would be from my mistakes.

The problem with the 2100 Productions internship is that it's in Wisconsin. It's unpaid. And I would have to find my own room & board. Talk about needing faith. Even if I wanted to live out of my car, I would still need a place to shower. I've tried taking "showers" in sinks and it is quite the ordeal.

All this leads to the question, what do I plan to do when I graduate?

Although I feel like I'm a pretty good public speaker, I don't feel led in that direction. If anything, I feel like God's leading me to be a Creative Arts Pastor or something like that.

But my main goal is to do social justice documentaries for missions. The problem is making that sustainable. As I try to get my film career off the ground, which probably means a few more classes, I need to making money to pay back loans and help support M as she goes to school. And I'm still not quite sure what that will look like.

The one thing I do know, is that I need to trust God. That He will bring me to where He wants me to be.

No comments: