Monday, June 7, 2010

Kenya: Day 23

Pray for:
- Vision for Filamujuani

what happened:
- went to Jah Army. path was all muddy after the big rain the previous night
- went to prestige to meet with Ken. talked about the Filamujuani website. when we looked, it had gotten hacked.
- dropped off Ken's gear at my place.
- went to Ken's place.
- went to lunch: chipati + beef stew
- went to Kibra Academy. taught directing. Futama finished her script and pre-production. we'll start shooting her script tomorrow.

Today, over lunch, Ken and I talked about how the project has been going thus far. And it was a bit discouraging because only about half the class has been coming out.

The morning class is understandable considering all the mud. As I walked back to the mutatu, Kigan was telling me about how most of Jah Army doesn't come out when it's muddy like that.

Then, when I got to Kibra, Futama surprised me with not only a finished script, but finished pre-production too. She had an extensive shot list, storyboards, and everything else. She even went the extra mile and asked her actors to bring their home clothes to make it more real.

It was also really encouraging to see how well written the script was too. There were sentences that were grammatically incorrect, but that's ok. What really impressed me was how visual the script was. I could see all the action come alive off the page.

Still, we're rethinking our strategy for how we approach Filamujuani. How to have the most impact and really give these kids a future and not just have it be another after school club.

We also got a chance to sit down with Anima and Frances to do interviews for the Filamujuani documentary. Frances gave us a lot of really good stuff.

On Saturday, I'm going to be going to their homes and getting some coverage for the documentary.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can see you are making difference in someone life. Great Job! I'm so proud of you! Keep the good work.