Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Kenya: Day 17

Pray for:
- God to do his thing regarding Kibera TV/Slum TV
- real community development to happen that will transform Kibera

What happened:
- today is Kenay's independence day. Pretty much everyone has the day off. No school!
- went to Jah Army. Michael, after some struggle, is starting to get loglines.
- Jah Army was performing at DC, so I went to give them my support. The event was supposed to start at 12, but when I left at 1:45, it still hadn't gotten started. the event was presented by KCODA (http://kcoda.org) to build awareness for good governance
- Jah Army went to the KCODA hq, where I met Erica and Brian, who are running Kibera TV. some of their people had come to interview me last week (http://www.ninjavspenguin.com/blog/2010/05/25/kenya-day-10/).
- went to Prestige and met with Gwatila to talk about Zuki
- went TV shopping with Gwatila
- went home

Apparently, this whole Kibera TV/Slum TV thing is a pretty good idea, considering that we weren't the only ones that thought of it. KCODA has been doing what they're calling the Kibera News Network since April (http://www.youtube.com/user/KiberaNewsNetwork). Most of their stuff is uploaded straight to Youtube after some basic editing.

I think it'd be a really cool idea if we managed to partner with them and develop a proper Kibera TV network with more than just news, but other programming as well.

Putting the stuff online is cool and all, but it would be even better if we could develop community around it as well. Still need to think through the details on that, but I'd rather join with a group who's already doing something, rather than start our own thing completely. Even if we're only sharing resources, we may be a huge benefit for each other.

It's pretty exciting how it all came together. I had just tagged along with Jah Army. They met with the program director and I was just chilling. Then, Erica popped her head into the office and saw me. She had seen the interview I did the previous week and we started talking.

Funny how things like that work out. Hopefully, the rest of it works out just as easily.

Praise God!

No comments: