Friday, June 11, 2010

Kenya: Day 27 - Week 4 in review

In this review: racism, vision for change, markets

Racism
==
The other day, I finished reading The Heart of Racial Justice by Brenda Salter McNeil and Rick Richardson.

The Heart of Racial Justice, talks briefly to my comments I brought up on Day 8 on race. I think it makes a very valid point, that we really aren't post-racial, at least, not entirely. There are still places where race, racism, and ethnocentrism still play very important roles. In fact, I kind of face it every day.

I walk down the streets, and I'm judged by the color of my skin. "China"; "How are you?"; "Hello!"; "Ching chong"; etc. I know it's not rooted in racism because it's not hateful. But it's ignorant. It's obvious that I'm a foreigner. It's obvious that I'm of a Chinese or at least Asian ethnic background. But it's assumed that I'm wealthy. By no means am I poor, but those words make me feel like a walking money bag.

Ok, so it's not ethnocentrism that I face. But I do my best to let the other comments roll off my back.

Even if I don't have control over the actions of others, I do have control of how I react and respond.

Vision for Change
==
I had quite a few meetings this week. And as I met with people and had conversation with them, I realized that not everyone has a vision for change. I can appreciate not knowing how to get there, but not having a vision at all is bizarre for me.

I take it for granted that vision is a rare thing. Skill can be acquired. Competence comes with time, experience, and correction. But vision, real vision, is a rare thing.

So I've found it difficult working with people who can't even imagine change, let alone the desire to work towards it. How do you work towards something you can't see?

Markets
==
Last Sunday, Pastor Oscar mentioned seven sectors of society. I would argue that he forgot the eigth: development.

One of the big problems with many NGOs and NPOs, is that they have a vested interest for things not to change. If the situations they were working in actually improved, they would be out of a job.

The goal for those in the business of development should be to put themselves out of business. They should strive to set up structures that are sustainable, with leaders raised from within the community.

Granted, this may not be possible with every NGO. But the question of sustainability, the question of how is this going to change the community, are often not asked or simply shrugged off.

As I read "Atlas Shrugged", the struggle of pure industrialists is pitted against one with a social conscious. The reality, is that the two cannot be separated.

Pure capitalistic markets don't work, we see that with the market crash of 2009. A result of unbridaled and unregulated capitalism. But pure charity doesn't work either because it's not sustainable.

The missing key is socially aware markets.

If the old adage, "One man's garbage is another man's treasure", is true. Then that other man will be willing to pay for that treasure.

We like to believe that huge multinationals are evil. And no doubt, I'm sure there are some that are. But it is these multinationals who are able to employee a lot of people.

Of course, there are certain things that are best left for governments because they exist for the common good. Like roads and the like. And for the things that government can't run, but has an interest in, they get invovled through regulation. Think the FDA which makes sure that the food you eat is clean.

Not that markets are a panacea. But they are a powerful component that are often ignored.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like what you said "Even if I don't have control over the actions of others, I do have control of how I react and respond."