Sunday, May 30, 2010

Kenya: Day 15

Pray for:
- Shooting a quick and dirty documentary about Filamujuani
- Looking for a small group

What happened:
- met Ken at Adam's Arcade
- went to Nairobi Chapel for church
- went shopping with Eva. she bought a new wallet, talked down from 950 to 500. bought a scarf, talked down from 250 to 200. bought a pair of boots, talked down from 2500 to 1200.
- went to Steve's thanksgiving. his daughter, Siva had been sick. her intestines and tubes hadn't fully developed, so she couldn't pee or poop. now, she's ok, and it was a thanksgiving for her. i took pictures for Ken.
- went to Prestige to meet with Gwatila and Ken to talk about Zuki
- dinner: beef briani
- went home

In this review: Normalcy, Seeing, Missing

Normalcy
==
As I settle into my second week in Nairobi, I settle into a sense of normalcy. I wake up, go to work, have lunch, and then go home, waiting for the cycle to repeat. It definitely helped that I started right away.

Normalcy and rythm is actually a very good thing. It sounds dull, and in some ways it is. Thus, my decision to stop blogging daily updates (http://www.ninjavspenguin.com/blog/2010/05/26/kenya-day-11/). Though I'm still blogging daily thus far.

What makes it a good thing is it allows you to plan the future. It allows you to make decisions about what's to come. Decisions about your life.

I'm starting to get familiar with the lay of the land. Prestige, Adam's, Junction, Nairobi Chapel, all along the same road.

Seeing
==
After Gwatila's shoot (http://www.ninjavspenguin.com/blog/2010/05/28/kenya-day-13-planning/), we sat around and got to the topic of the power of seeing.

Often times, we take for granted what we have seen, experienced, and learned and how that changes not only our perspective, but also our ability to project and envision.

Sometimes, people need to be shown exactly what's going on for them to understand. That is the power of video. It enables people to see things that they wouldn't necessarily be able to see.

So, this week, we're going to shoot a quick and dirty documentary about Filamujuani and what's going on here and the change that it is bringing to Kibera. We're hoping that it'll be shot and edited over the next 2 weeks.

Missing
==
Being here for 2 weeks, the thing I've missed most is the people that I left in the states. Family, friends, people I care about and care about me. The physical and temporal difference has really started getting to me.

I knew that I was going to miss people, but I didn't realize I would miss them this much and so quickly.

It's been nice receiving emails, even if they're breif. It's also been nice being able to text M, even if they're within very narrow windows of her being awake. It's an 11 hour time difference between the two of us.

No comments: